One of Suffolk's most impressive monastic ruins, Leiston Abbey
, formerly known as St Mary's Abbey, was founded in 1182 at Minsmere by a powerful lawyer named Ranulf de Glanville, Lord Chief Justice to King Henry II. The order of the Abbey was a House of Augustinian Canons Regular who followed the Premonstratensian rule. Unlike monks, their main duties were preaching and pastoral work.
The Abbey, formerly known as St Mary's Abbey, was founded in 1182 at Minsmere by a powerful lawyer named Ranulf de Glanville, Lord Chief Justice to King Henry II. In 1363 the Abbey was transferred to Leiston, and its Patron Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, devoted his last years to the building. The abbey eventually became a farm, until in 1928 the Abbey ruins and farm was bought by Miss Ellen Wrightson for use as a religious retreat. When she died in 1946, she bequeathed the house, ruins, land and buildings to the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.
Leiston Abbey is open year round and free of charge.
To get to Leiston Abbey
Road Access: N of Leiston off B1069
Train Access: Saxmundham 5 miles
Bus Access:First 64, Anglian/Goldline 165 Ipswich - Aldeburgh (pass close Saxmundham railway station
Check out other English Heritage
sites in Suffolk--Landguard Fort Bury St. Edmunds AbbeyOrford CastleMoulton Packhorse Bridge Saxtead Green Post MillFramlingham CastleFelixstowe Museum
Please also see:Saxmundham Guide